I have indirectly supported Planned Parenthood and embryonic stem cell research. And, most likely, so have you.

Have you heard this saying?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Basically, it means that people should not criticize others for faults they have in themselves.

That sums up my opinion of persons who pass judgement on others for donating time and money to charities that have ties to Planned Parenthood or embryonic stem cell research when similar ties can be made to just about everything someone may donate money to or use in daily life.

Let me explain why I'm writing this post.

You see, it has recently come to my attention that some fellow pro-lifers have been uniting against the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge because they see it as soliciting funds for research that has connections to embryonic stem cell research - which is somewhat accurate.

Now, how are they choosing to respond to this reality?  Well, in addition to pouring their criticisms and condemnations on those of us who have given our time and money to the ALS Foundation, some are deliberately filming themselves completing an ice bucket challenge in which they say why they are NOT giving money to ALS.  Furthermore, they then say which organizations WILL receive their money and so post their videos online challenging others to follow suit.

First, how loving is that?!  Why would you take the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge which has lifted the spirits of and brings hope to those suffering from this horrific disease (see my previous post on this matter) and post videos that basically communicate to these people that they aren't worthy of your money?! If you don't want to donate money to ALS, don't do it!  But I would request, please, do not attempt to steal away what little joy they have gotten from the recognition received for this lonely disease by filming a mock challenge and posting it online.

Second, and here is my main point,  do you realize how hypocritical it is to criticize and to condemn someone for indirectly supporting Planned Parenthood and embryonic stem cell research when you - yes, you - most likely do the same thing on a daily basis? 

Consider this.  The following are things/companies to avoid if you want to ensure your money isn't going to Planned Parenthood or being used for embryonic stem cell research:  Clorox, Coca-Cola, Pepsi, AT&T, Adobe, eBay, Ford, Gap, General Electric, Kraft,  Xerox, and Yahoo.

Do you use any of those? I know I do!  And I would bet, you do too!

Furthermore, LifeNews.com, a pro-life website, states you are supporting abortion if you give your money to any of these companies or use of their services: AOL, Bank of America, Bayer, Chevron, Darden Restaurants (Olive Garden, Red Lobster, etc.), eBay (PayPal, etc.), Laureate Education, Midas, Nationwide (insurance), Nike, Select Comfort (Sleep Number bed), Southwest Airlines (Jet Blue, etc.), Starwood Hotels (Aloft, Element, Four Points, Le Méridien, Sheraton, St. Regis, W, Westin, etc.), Symantec, Wells Fargo, and Whole Foods.

Honestly, if you do research on this topic, you will soon discover that most everything you own and most every business you patronize is somehow supporting Planned Parenthood and/or embryonic stem cell research. On top of that, the American Life League reports, "It is simply just a sad fact that most national medical research/advocacy groups support some form of unethical research. There is no listing, to our knowledge, of only pro-life research organizations."  Even the Susan G. Koman and March of Dimes organizations have been linked to "supporting abortion."

So, what can you do if you really want to avoid indirectly giving your time and money to anti pro-life endeavors?  Not much.  Unless you move to an Amish town.

My point is simple, and it's a point Jesus himself made in Matthew 7:3:  "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?"

My fellow pro-life friends.  I know. I agree!  We shouldn't support anything that does not treat God's gift of life in the womb with the utmost respect. Don't hear me saying otherwise in this post. However, we live in an imperfect world,  so we must accept that we are not going to be able to avoid things that are contrary to our values 100% of the time.

Life is messy. God knows that. All we can do is pray for direction, and whatever we end up doing, we should do it in the right spirit - the spirit of love.

1 Corinthians 13:13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love.  But the greatest of these is love.

I cannot believe Jesus would ever fault us for acting out of love.

Romans 8: 1-2 There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.  For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.

So, let's agree to set aside criticism and condemnation of each other.  And let's consider this, and all other such matters, a matter between each individual and Jesus.

When I accepted the ALS Ice Bucket Challenge, I did so to encourage those suffering from ALS.  I donated a small amount of money in the hopes that combined with all other donations perhaps some progress might be made in research combating this terrible disease. I did these things out of the goodness of my heart like those who feel lead to walk for Susan G. Koman and for the March of Dimes.  I did not know that the ALS Foundation had a connection - albeit, a very small connection - to embryonic stem cell research.

But knowing that now, in retrospect, would I do it all again? To that question, I answer yes.

Yes, I would do it again to encourage ALS patients, to inspire hope, and to, hopefully, help improve the quality of LIFE of those suffering with ALS.  Because, to me, ALL life is precious. Including the lives of ALS sufferers.  That is how I am convicted concerning this matter.

Today's forget-me-not:  So remember. Do not criticize.  Do not condemn.

1 comment:

  1. Once again, very well said my friend!!! The Lord speaks so beautifully through you!!!

    ReplyDelete