How to be beautiful in one easy step!

I was in the kitchen, cleaning, when I heard Hannah say something I hope I will never forget. It wasn't so much the words I hope I don't forget; it was the utter amazement in her voice as she proclaimed her newest revelation.

She was watching Dragon Tales, and in this particular episode, she saw a caterpillar turn into a butterfly.  I heard her suck in her breath, and all excited, she cried, "Mom!  Look!!  I didn't know a caterpillar could turn into a butterfly! Oh, wow!!!"

As I walked into the living room, I saw she was enraptured by what she was witnessing on the television.  Her mouth was agape, and she said a couple more times, "Wow... wow..."

I couldn't help but giggle and smile at her and feel grateful for having been there to witness this moment when my little girl learned that caterpillars can turn into butterflies.

It was an awesome moment!

And then, I had a special moment of my own.  Watching Hannah, I thought, "Yes, God turns caterpillars into beautiful butterflies, my sweet girl," and I then heard the Holy Spirit say to me, "Yes, it's what I do with people, too."

My mouth fell open, and I whispered, "Wow... wow..."

You see, God's power transforms lives - a transformation much like a caterpillar makes upon becoming a butterfly.  When you give your life over to the one who created you, He takes you and makes you new!  #beautiful

"Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, He is a new creation: The old is gone; the new is here!"
  (2 Corinthians 5:17)

I have some questions for you: what do you see when you look at yourself?  Do you see a new creation? Is what you see beautiful?  

Let me clarify something: I'm not talking about your physical appearance.  I'm asking about your spirit.  How do you see your SELF?

Apparently, many see themselves as - at best - average.  Check out this video my Sunday school teacher shared with us this past Sunday.  It's alarming, really.  Watch it. Then come back here. I'll wait ;-)


I don't know about you, but when I saw this video, I knew instantly I would choose to walk through the beautiful door if put in that situation.

You see, I don't THINK I'm beautiful. I know I am.  I may have been average when I was lost in my sin, but after coming to know Jesus and feeling the new creation that I am in Christ, I KNOW I am beautiful.  And it's not some temporary, fleeting knowledge.  No. It is my reality.  

"And although you were formerly alienated and hostile in mind, engaged in evil deeds, yet He has now reconciled you in His fleshly body through death, in order to present you before Him holy and blameless and beyond reproach."  (Colossians 1:21-22)

Don't get me wrong.  There are still days when I don't feel beautiful, but feelings are not truth.  And the truth is this: if you are a child of The Most High King, you are beautiful. Embrace it!  Speak that truth in His name when you hear the lies form the evil one telling you otherwise.

You. Are. BEAUTIFUL!

Do you have that confidence in your life?  Do you know Jesus as your personal Lord and Savior?  If not, what are you waiting for?!  He wants to make you new.  Just let Him.

For information on how to become a new creation in Christ, read "The Roman Road to Salvation."

Today's forget-me-not:  If you are in Christ, you are a new creation.  You are beautiful.  Thank Him today for His precious gift of salvation!

4 comments:

  1. You are certainly BEAUTIFUL Jamie!! You're right - I do feel average and that is something I need to work on. Thank you for pointing it out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I do know the Savior, and so appreciate your bold way of writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Joanna and Betty! Your words are an encouragement!

    ReplyDelete