What Should A Christian's New Year's Resolution Be?

The new year prompts one to begin a time of introspection, and I believe self-examination to be a worthy endeavor. What harm could be done? Truly, there are only a multitude of benefits to be reaped.

Let's do it!

Take a close look at your life. When I do this, I find I have an abundance to be thankful for. I have a loving husband and two beautiful children. We have jobs that have enabled us to have a roof over our heads and plenty of food on the table. We possess a multitude of the comforts of this life, and, more importantly, we have many dear friends who we consider family.

Suffice it to say, when I count all that I possess in this life, this question comes to my mind: What more could you possibly want?

Perhaps when you take stock of life, you find yourself with a similar question?

So as I contemplate the new year and what resolutions I should make, if any, a better question to ask ourselves comes to my mind:

What more should you want?

I find myself wondering, as 2016 begins, what new year's resolution(s) would Jesus want me to make?

Lately, in answer to this question, the Holy Spirit has put a yearning on my heart for something I think we should all resolve to and strive to attain - more of Him.

1 Peter 5:10 explains, "He called you to share in his glory in Christ, a glory that will continue forever."

I believe a Christian's new year's resolution should be to experience more of the glory of Christ that He has called us to share with him.

Often what keeps me from experiencing this is myself. I let the distractions of this life do just that, distract me from spending time with Him. He came so that we might have abundant life (John 10:10), but too often, I settle for less. I make Him one of the items on my to do list when He should be the entirety of the list itself.

He accomplished so much for us with His death on the cross so that we might live, yet how many times in 2015 can you say that you strove to share in His glory? You experienced the abundant life?

It's like Max Lucado said in his book In the Grip of Grace: "He guides us to a pool of mercy and invites us to bathe. Some plunge in, but others just touch the surface."

When was the last time you plunged into God and spent time wading in His pool of mercy, experiencing fully His glory that He desires to share with you?

If you are where I am right now in my walk with the Lord, you need more swim time. Truly, this is what we should want more of in 2016 and what we should resolve to attain: time with Him, receiving all He wants to give us.

Let's make our 2016 new year's resolution to experience more of Jesus.

Now, you may be wondering, practically speaking, how does one go about executing this new goal? To answer this question, let's turn to scripture. I think the book of James, specifically chapter 4, has much wisdom regarding this.

"You do not have because you do not ask God...Submit yourselves, then, to God...Humble yourselves before the Lord, and He will lift you up." (James 4:2,7,10)

So the simple answer to the question of how one can begin to experience more of Jesus is to pray. Ask Jesus for more of Him in your heart and life. Submit your will to His. Get on  your knees (if physically possible), and ask. You shall receive.

Today, as I was running and listening to music at a nearby park, I did just that. Francesca Battistelli's song "Be Born in Me" started playing, and I used the words to that song as a way to cry out to Jesus and ask for more of Him. Although this song was meant to be sung from Mary's perspective and with that context in mind, I found the lyrics were very close to my heart's cry for 2016. Let me leave you with those words. Perhaps you too can use them to begin your new year's resolution?

Today's forget-me-not: Ask God to share in His glory, daily.


Everything inside me cries for order
Everything inside me wants to hide
Is this shadow an angel or a warrior?
If God is pleased with me, why am I so terrified?
Someone tell me I am only dreaming
Somehow help me see with Heaven's eyes
And before my head agrees, my heart is on its knees
Holy is He; blessed am I.

Be born in me, be born in me
Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You chose me
I'll hold You in the beginning, You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart Your Bethlehem
Be born in me

All this time we've waited for the promise
All this time You've waited for my arms
Did You wrap yourself inside the unexpected
So we might know that Love would go that far?

Be born in me, be born in me
Trembling heart, somehow I believe that You chose me
I'll hold You in the beginning, You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart Your Bethlehem
Be born in me

I am not brave
I'll never be
The only thing my heart can offer is a vacancy
I'm just a girl
Nothing more
But I am willing, I am Yours

Be born in me, be born in me
I'll hold You in the beginning, You will hold me in the end
Every moment in the middle, make my heart Your Bethlehem
Be born in me


No comments yet. Please leave yours!

Post a Comment